[CLUE-Tech] Nessus

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 15 21:20:09 MDT 2003

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 20:41:36 -0600
Evan Widger <PsychoI3oy at linkline.com> wrote:

> Collins Richey wrote:
> > You should give gentoo linux a whirl.  It has the solution for
> > installing all the dependancies automatically.  See below for
> > comment on ports.
> >

> > The gentoo linux portage packaging system was modeled on ports, and
> > it does everything that ports does and more.  There are thousands of
> > packages in the portage repository, and new versions appear almost
> > before they are announced on Freshmeat.  There is no one single
> > gentoo handbook, but there is a lot of good documentation on the
> > website.
> >
> > That being said, FreeBSD is certainly worth a try.  I learned a lot.
> >
> > Enjoy.
>
> isnt gentoo a version of lfs? it sounds good, mebbe i'll gibe it a try
>
> when i get broadband, it took over a week to just get the iso for
> freeBSD 5.1 on dialup. plus i have stuff working nicely for now,
> wouldnt wanna disturb that :) thanks for the info

Other than the fact that both are install-from-sources distros, gentoo
is not at all related to lfs (also a good learning experience).  Gentoo
CDs are now orderable which will save you the weeks worth of downloads
to get a basic system going with most everything you need.  All you need
is an empty 5gig partition (can be less).  If you are going to put up
FreeBSD on the same PC, you need to get the harddrive partitioning
worked out first.  As long as you put FreeBSD on the a primary
partition prior to the extended partition, you can still have any number
of extended partitions for linux.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the