[CLUE-Tech] FreeBSD [was Re: Nessus]

black at galaxy.silvren.com black at galaxy.silvren.com
Sat Aug 16 09:20:12 MDT 2003

Yes, a "slice" is the equivalent to a "partition" in the
linux/dos/winders/whatever world.

BSD further confuses it by just calling extended partitions "partitions."

When I set up BSD I used two primary partitions, and then put a few
extended partitions under each for /, /var, /tmp, /usr and swap. There are
still 2 primary partitions left to install Linux or whatever else.

Thanks to everyone for the great FreeBSD info. I didn't know about the
port stuff, that's really awesome. I got X working without basically no
fuss, and I have to agree that it's a hell of a lot quicker not loading
all the KDE/Gnome gunk. twm may not look cool, but it does what I need.
Maybe I'll try fluxbox.

I did try gentoo, and didn't think it was worth all the fuss of compiling
from scratch. It was certainly interesting though.

Anyone see the sloashdot post about how they compared a custom built
gentoo system vs. a mandrake and (I think redhat) install? For whatever
reason the gentoo box was slower on most everything, hardware being equal.
Seems like an anomaly, but it raised my eyebrows nonetheless.

Thanks again, you guys are great!