[CLUE-Tech] Data models, diagrams, process models documentation

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Sun Aug 17 09:06:49 MDT 2003

On 08-16 10:33, Kevin Cullis wrote:
> Sean,
>
> Anything and everything about it.
>
> >From a perspective of documentation, most organizations do it lousy,
> others haven't keep it up as tightly as it should (a friend recently
> started a project where the docs of the company in bankruptcy is two
> years old).  I'm also eager to find out what best practices, if any,
> people follow.  Do they follow certain principles when doing this? Are
> they organized to make it easier to follow or update?  Those type of
> questions.

Oh. Well, I can't say I do much documentation. I document code. I use the
data model more as a living document - that is, I'm more compelled to use
database modeling tools[*] to manage the database than I am by its properties
of documentation.

I also use a Wiki to put away some high-level info about projects and
whatnot.

[*] And I really can't grok people who just make database changes directly
via tools like SQL Enterprise Manager, isql, or SQL*Plus or what have you.
I've worked with folks who insisted on doing this even when there are three
or more copies of the same database that we need to keep in sync (dev, test,
production, for example) AND we have a copy of a tool like Oracle Designer.
I guess part of my irritation at this comes when I go to use a DB and it
doesn't match the model, so I guess I do rely on the benefit of
documentation that the model provides. The other part of my irritation at
this practice also comes from watching people work harder, not smarter (to
abuse a management phrase) and inevitably bungling things up for other
developers. "What? That column is missing in production? Oh, yeah, I made
the other changes out there, but not that one. Ooops." Many tools provide
versioning of the model (imagine!) and even if they don't, you can version
the file yourself using CVS, VSS, etc.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
The default Magic Word, "Abracadabra", actually is a corruption of the Hebrew
phrase "ha-Bracha dab'ra" which means "pronounce the blessing".