[CLUE-Tech] Installing slackware 9.0 from iso?

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Fri Aug 22 22:31:04 MDT 2003

I'm not the greatest PC hardware guy in the world...

I just inherited a couple of vintage PCs: a 200 MHz K6 IBM Aptiva,
and a 400 MHz K6 Gateway something-or-other.  Looking around for
a relatively lightweight distro, I settled on Slackware.  I also
found SuperRescue.  I downloaded ISO images of both and burned CDs
using Nero under Windows XP.

The SuperRescue 2.1.2 CD boots great on both Aptiva and Gateway boxes.
The Slackware 9.0 CD boots about 50% of the time on the Aptiva, and the
Gateway claims that it isn't bootable media.

Gateway hardware, according to "dmesg" after SuperRescue boots,
and a stroll through the BIOS thingy...

AMIBIOS (c) 1997
It appears that the BIOS has the hard drive configured as "Primary
IDE master", while the "Primary IDE slave", "Secondary IDE master"
and "Secondary IDE slave" are all auto-configured.
I had to set the "First Boot Device" to "ATAPI CDROM", and disable all
the other boot devices to get it to boot off any CD - the hardware
really, really, really wants to run Windows 98 for some reason.
400 MHz AMD K6-2-400
32 Mb memory
ALI15X3 IDE controller, chipset rev 193
ide0 -> hda, Quantum Fireball CX6.8A
ide1 -> hdc Toshiba CD-ROM XM-6502B

What have I done wrong?  Why does the Gateway claim the Slackware ISO
isn't bootable media? I downloaded the Slackware ISO from a 2nd
mirror and got exactly the same (cksum) file.  SuperRescue uses
"ISOLINUX 2.00" to boot, as does Slackware I believe.  It's hard to
say for sure, because pointing-and-clicking on Nero doesn't lead to
repeatability, but I don't think I burned the ISO images any differently.

--
Bruce Ediger
720-932-1954
eballen1 at qwest.net