[CLUE-Tech] Bounced virus mail

Charles Oriez coriez at oriez.org
Mon Aug 25 12:18:41 MDT 2003

At 11:52 AM 8/25/2003 -0600, Dale K. Hawkins wrote:

>I had thought this was the case, but I have had a problem with an open
>relay in the past and the guilt still haunts me to this day!  :-)
>
>Unfortunately, my main email account is a pop account, so I cannot
>take some the better suggestions (such as blocking IP  addresses).  I
>will have to procmail filter instead.

if you google the right news groups, there is some discussion of procmail
filtering both the original viral load and the annoying bounces/advisories
that follow.  My own ISP has his filters set to block the new ones pretty
well. I configured my own anti-klez filters in procmail, but only to handle
a couple of annoying repeaters who were sending me copies every day for
multiple days.

The german language anti-spam news group has a link to one set of procmail
scripts in its FAQ. It includes an anti sobig script

<http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/spam/rc/rc.virus.txt>http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/spam/rc/rc.virus<http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/spam/rc/rc.virus.txt>.txt

their entire FAQ is here: http://tinyurl.com/l4tl

charles oriez          coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
"You want us to hit delete.  A blocking list is basically a diesel delete
key.  A blocking list is the bulk delete response to unwanted bulk email.
When we use a blocking list, we are hitting delete, as you ask us to
do.  Why do you object?"  -- David Canzi