[CLUE-Tech] Getting the IP

Jeremiah Stanley lists at miah.org
Sun Aug 24 08:14:39 MDT 2003

> If you know the MAC address of your Ethernet card, you might be able to
> tell DHCP to always assign the same IP address to that card.  That does
> negate much of the advantages of DHCP, but at least you could make
> changes from a central location.  I assume that DNS3 makes this unnecessary.

Yes, this is how I would do this. Go around and collect the MAC address
on the cards. On decent cards it is on a sticker somewhere on the card.

Here is what my config looks like:

option domain-name "home.miah.org";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
option netbios-name-servers 192.168.1.1;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
        option routers 192.168.1.1;
        option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
        option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;

        range 192.168.1.10 192.168.1.20;
}

host test {
        hardware ethernet 00:D0:B7:C3:F8:92;
        fixed-address 192.168.1.23;
}

This config will hand out addresses dynamically from 10-20 on the
192.168.1.0/24 network. It will instruct those machines to look at .1
for their DNS resolution, .1 for their default gateway and .1 for their
netbios information.

you'll notice that I have a directive "host test". This is where you can
set a static IP for a machine that you have a MAC address for.

DHCP is pretty easy to set up this way. You just have to make sure that
your firewalling doesn't get in your way or you won't get addresses,
that one gets me all the time. ;)

Hope that helps a bit.

--
JStanley <miah at miah.org>