[CLUE-Tech] Authenticating CVS using ssh against windoze domain controller?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Aug 25 14:56:02 MDT 2003

Sean,

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Does anyone even know if this is possible?
>
> Currently, authentication for box in question goes against windoze domain
> controller for Samba; does anyone know if CVS can do this for ssh
> connections? I figure ssh would be more responsible for this than CVS would
> be, but I'm not sure how or if ssh can utilize samba for auth.

Look at winbind (winbindd), which I think is a branch of samba.  It
 is like NIS in that it can automatically populates the Linux account
databases with Windows accounts from the domain.

I personally haven't tried it but it looks like it should work.  Here
is a howto I googled:

http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/lias/2003-May/msg00033.html

There doesn't appear to be too much difficulty to get it to work, but
there are a few things you need to do on your Linux box.

Since ssh and cvs use the unix account subsystem then any winbind
account from the domain controller should work as well.

Hope this helps,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)