[CLUE-Tech] Mail server options

Mike lister-clue at gantsfort.com
Fri Aug 29 01:24:48 MDT 2003

All,

I am running my own network out of my home. Right now all I have had
time to get working is my mail server. In the future I want to run a web
server and have web mail access. My broadband connection is DSL. Here is
my situation: I will be moving some time this Fall to a destination that
is not known at this time. Only general area is known which will be in
the southwest metro area (likely north and east of C470). Obviously, I
do not know if the house I will be moving to will have DSL access so I
need to make contigency plans now for my network. I'm looking for advice
on what my options would be. From my understanding I wouldn't be able to
run my home network (with mail, web server) using a cable modem. Please
correct me if I'm wrong on this point. So, if DSL isn't available at the
new home I will most likely be looking at a hosting option. Any other
suggestions? What are people's experience with hosting? What are the
approximate costs and how much control can I have over the server setup?

Does anyone know the DSL availability in the area I'll be looking? Is
there a way to find out without having a phone number? Will Qwest check
DSL availablity with just an address?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Mike