[CLUE-Tech] Debian kernel boot failure

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Sun Aug 31 10:23:55 MDT 2003

cpio is complaining about a missing file (I cannot figure out which
one though).  I looked at the initrd (mounted) and it looks OK (it has
the ext3 and ext2 modules).  I did some more upgrades (as I do
everyday :-) ) and the problems seems to have fixed itself (though
searching through the debian bug database did not seem helpful).

So I was finally able to boot my new kernel.  But that is only half
the story.  I needed to recompile the nvidia drivers which was only
slightly more painful than necessary.  But the kernel was a real dog!
I am not exactly sure why, but the system behaved very poorly!  I even
had problems copying pictures from my camera; kept getting I/O
errors.  So a short while later I was back to my original kernel.  I
really need to start compiling my own.  I had had good luck with the
stock Debian kernel until recently.

I also want to play with the 2.6 test series.  But that is going to be
a big effort to get the nvidia modules working.  *groan*  I took a
stab at it last night but was not successful and not motivated enough
to pursue it further at the time.

-Dale