[CLUE-Tech] Re: Inkjet vs Dye-sublimation photo printing?

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Dec 1 11:45:24 MST 2003

* Jeff Cann (j.cann at isuma.org) wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2003 9:02 pm, Jeff Cann wrote:
> eated), so I understand dithering is a possible issue.
> >
> > OTH - The Canon uses dye-sublimation technique to apply color.
> > HowStuffWorks.com says that this technique produces better quality and
> > prints will last longer.  But, you cannot print directly from digital media
> > (unless you have a Canon camera or others which support the new

As a photo-junkie who hasn't thought about it for a while, take this
with a small grain of salt.

Inkjet technology is now very impressive.  It rivals traditional
photo-printing technology, if you are willing to spend a bit more on
top-of-the line and archival inks.  You will not be disappionted by the
quality of inkjet, if you buy a decent printer.

Die-sub will not be obviously superior, anymore, I think.  It would
probably be a question of price / operating cost / print speed.
Die-sub is fine, but I think that it really filled a need that existed a
few years ago.  Today, the gap it plugged has been filled by inkjets.

Tim