[CLUE-Tech] Cisco 678 Configuration

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Dec 3 21:27:29 MST 2003

Randy Arabie wrote:
[...]
> The router doesn't seem to be routing, sort of.  When I connect it to the phone
> line it trains and the wan0 port(s) link up with the upstream network.
> The "inside" eth0 is configured to the standard class C 192.168.1.1 with the
> internal DHCP server configured to dish out IP's.  And, NAT is enabled.  I've
> also enabled the telnet server so my ISP's techies could try and help me figure
> out why it won't work.

The bad ARP entries are using multicast addresses (the first byte is
odd).  They don't seem normal, I don't get any arp entries in my 678 for
its eth0 IP.  So something is broke on the eth0 side of things.  Perhaps
hardware or cables, though that seems unlikely.

Did you check your filters and make sure they're correct?  Looks like
they're not set.

IIRC, you can erase the config with "set nvram erase".  If you want to
update the cbos I think you can do that via the serial port.  Read the
docs on Cisco's site.

Probably erasing and rebuilding will fix it, if you have a good list of
steps to make it go.

The other odd thing I see is that your NAT outside address doesn't seem
especially close to your wan0-0 IP (NAT is 216.57.216.237, wan0-0 is
216.57.214.82 on the far end).  That NAT IP shows up in your PPP config too.

I only have one IP Address line in my PPP config and the IP is 0.0.0.0.
  You have two and one looks broken (cut and paste error maybe?)

Those are my guesses, hope you get it fixed.