[CLUE-Tech] Cisco 678 Configuration

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Thu Dec 4 08:05:14 MST 2003

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 09:27:29PM -0700, David Anselmi wrote:

> The bad ARP entries are using multicast addresses (the first byte is
> odd).  They don't seem normal, I don't get any arp entries in my 678 for
> its eth0 IP.  So something is broke on the eth0 side of things.  Perhaps
> hardware or cables, though that seems unlikely.

Thinking more about this, I would like to reiterate what I
find to be the most puzzling aspect of the problem.

I could ping the eth0 interface from a LAN host.  And, using
ehtreal, I verified that the MAC in the headers of the
replies was the MAC on the 678.

But, I could not ping my LAN host from the 678's management interface.

The LAN host I am referring to was a laptop hooked directly
to the 678 via a cross-over cable.

What are multicast MAC addresses?  And who/what/why use(s) them?
--

Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/