[CLUE-Tech] Mounting LEXAR Jumpdrive

Collins Richey erichey2 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 08:50:23 MST 2003

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 09:52:48 -0700 "R. Savage" <71OEsAV71 at estreet.com> wrote:

> I'm using RedHat Dist 9.0, Shrike, on a couple of 200 MHz Pentium I
> computers. In order to transfer files (and also backup files), I have a
> couple of LEXAR 64 MB Jumpdrives, mounted in USB 1.1 extension hubs (so
> I don't have to crawl under the desk to insert and remove).
>
> The jumpdrives mount cleanly when needed with the "mount" command (mount
> -t ext2 /dev/sda1 /mnt/LEXAR); they are not automounted from fstab,
> since I need them only occasionally. I login as root most of the time.
>
> The problem is, after saving files to the jumpdrive, the "unmount"
> command (umount /dev/LEXAR) doesn't work. I get the "device is busy"
> response. Switching to other directories doesn't help; /dev/LEXAR stays
> "busy". The only solution seems to be to shutdown and restart - a minor
> inconvenience for the safety/backup involved. But it bothers me that I
> don't understand this behavior, and my status as "root" seems
> ill-defined. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is this just
> normal behavior for a block memory device after mounting?

I have heard that hotplug, if enabled, could be a part of the problem.  From the
postings I read on gentoo-user, the 2.4 kernels do not do a very good job with
this.  Frequently it is necessary to rmmod the loaded modules and restart
hotplug to clear up such a problem.  Supposedly the 2.6.0 kernels handle this a
lot better.

HTH,

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
if you fill your heart with regrets of yesterday and the