[CLUE-Tech] Mounting LEXAR Jumpdrive

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Thu Dec 4 08:56:38 MST 2003

Hi there,

> The problem is, after saving files to the jumpdrive, the "unmount"
> command (umount /dev/LEXAR) doesn't work. I get the "device is busy"
> response. Switching to other directories doesn't help; /dev/LEXAR stays
> "busy". The only solution seems to be to shutdown and restart - a minor

This is interesting.

Fortunately there is a way to tell what process has a given file or
directory open.  Please run this command:

lsof | grep LEXAR

You will see the process ID, name, etc. of the process that is holding
the /mnt/LEXAR directory open.

> inconvenience for the safety/backup involved. But it bothers me that I
> don't understand this behavior, and my status as "root" seems
> ill-defined. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Is this just
> normal behavior for a block memory device after mounting?

I'm not familiar with the jumpdrive but my inclination is that this is
not normal behavior for a block device under Linux.

Hope this helps,
Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)