[CLUE-Tech] Repair or Replace Laptop??

Gary Threlkeld gthrelk at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 18:07:58 MST 2003

Hi Everyone -

I have the typical question to ask.  I have a Compaq Presario 1694 laptop (450MHg) that was having problems powering on.  Thinking it might be the ancient battery (over 3 years old), I invested another $125 in a new battery - but the problems continued.  Finally, I took the machine to a service rep who diagnosed the problem as a "micro-crack" in the motherboard - he also indicated that because the battery had been completely drained that my new battery was probably also now bad.

I've been able to locate a refurb motherboard for $150 but before I sink more money into this machine, I wanted to ask everyone if they believe I would require a new battery as well.  Given my current employment circumstances, I can justify $150 to repair versus $600-$700 to buy a low-end laptop but if I have to spring for another battery as well, I might as well bite the bullet an call the old machine "scrap".

Anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?  Any comments/suggestions would be welcome.

Gary Threlkeld