[CLUE-Tech] CDROM Tray won't open

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Dec 12 09:20:31 MST 2003

Randy Arabie wrote:
> Quoting Dave Price <dp_kinaole at yahoo.com>:
[...]
>>Since you have changed distros, you might check auotomount settings, I
>>had this problem with mandrake a while back - disabling automount fixed
>>it.
>
>  /etc/fstab has the noauto option set for both the cdrw and cdrom drives.

Automount is different than noauto.  When the init scripts run one of
them mounts everything in fstab that doesn't say noauto (see mount -a).

Automount is a program that either watches for a CD to be inserted or
watches for a program opening a mount point and then mounts whatever is
supposed to be there (I'm fuzzy on the details since I don't use it).

Linux typically locks the CD tray when the CD is mounted so that it
can't be opened (it would do this for floppies too, if the hardware
supported locking).  So probably your CD is mounted and that's why it
won't open.  As soon as you unmount it (which may take an understanding
of automount) it should work again.

eject is supposed to unmount the device first, but automounting may be
getting in the way, or your drive (or drivers) may not support software
ejecting.

HTH,