[CLUE-Tech] CDROM Tray won't open

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Fri Dec 12 09:51:28 MST 2003

Quoting David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net>:

> Randy Arabie wrote:
> > Quoting Dave Price <dp_kinaole at yahoo.com>:
> [...]
> >>Since you have changed distros, you might check auotomount settings, I
> >>had this problem with mandrake a while back - disabling automount fixed
> >>it.
> >
> >  /etc/fstab has the noauto option set for both the cdrw and cdrom drives.
>
> Automount is different than noauto.  When the init scripts run one of
> them mounts everything in fstab that doesn't say noauto (see mount -a).
>
> Automount is a program that either watches for a CD to be inserted or
> watches for a program opening a mount point and then mounts whatever is
> supposed to be there (I'm fuzzy on the details since I don't use it).
>
> Linux typically locks the CD tray when the CD is mounted so that it
> can't be opened (it would do this for floppies too, if the hardware
> supported locking).  So probably your CD is mounted and that's why it
> won't open.  As soon as you unmount it (which may take an understanding
> of automount) it should work again.
>
> eject is supposed to unmount the device first, but automounting may be
> getting in the way, or your drive (or drivers) may not support software
> ejecting.

Hmm.  I don't know if I'm using automount or not.  I know I wasn't with Debian,
but maybe Libranet sets up by default.

I can't say for certain that the drive isn't mounted.  I know I didn't mount it
manually.  And, I use xvmount frequently.  When I launched it it didn't show
that my CDROM was mounted.  But I wouldn't take that as a definative
answer...only the output of the mount command is proof to me. I'll check it out
tonight.

Thanks for the clarification on automount.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/