[CLUE-Tech] CDROM Tray won't open

Evan Widger PsychoI3oy at linkline.com
Fri Dec 12 15:50:51 MST 2003

Randy Arabie wrote:
> my cdrom tray won't open.  not by pushing the button on front, nor using eject
> whith the device [/dev/scd0 or /cdrom].
>
> any clues on why that might be.  i have two drives, one regular and another rw.
>  the rw one works, and this one used to...i have not made any hardware changes.
>
> i have switched distro's, from debian to libranet, but the config is pretty much
> the same.  fwiw, i did get to open at least once and know it works.  i could
> mound a data disk and played a music cd.
>
> i have had similar trouble before, but never really worked out why it didn't
> work and then did.

two words: unbent paperclip

all the software based things i'd have tried have already been
mentioned, i'd hazard to guess that if you hear/feel vibration, the
drive is messed up. if it was locked in software, the drive would simply
ignore the button alltogether, there's no physical locking mechanisim
(that i know of) in cd-roms.

HTH

-Evan