[CLUE-Tech] CDROM Tray won't open

Dave Price dp_kinaole at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 18 08:18:49 MST 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 03:50:51PM -0700, Evan Widger wrote:
>two words: unbent paperclip
>
> all the software based things i'd have tried have already been
> mentioned, i'd hazard to guess that if you hear/feel vibration, the
> drive is messed up. if it was locked in software, the drive would simply
> ignore the button alltogether, there's no physical locking mechanisim
> (that i know of) in cd-roms.
>
> HTH
>
> -Evan
A actually keep one taped to the corner of my monitor with the label:
"Mac Disk Ejection Tool"  also works great for CD's

As this is a RO device (unless we have been burning) forced umount with
a paper clip should be an issue,  but it is nice from a 'sense of
purity' to know why the device fails to eject under some conditions, as
with the USB umount discussed recently.

As an aside, I generally include '-eject' in any cdrecord scripts or
command lines, it is nice to have that puppy pop out like an eggo
waffle when it is done.

asloha,
dave