[CLUE-Tech] CDROM Tray won't open

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Fri Dec 12 18:36:35 MST 2003

Quoting Jeff Cann <j.cann at isuma.org>:

> On Thursday 11 December 2003 11:46 pm, Randy Arabie wrote:
> > my cdrom tray won't open.  not by pushing the button on front, nor using
> > eject whith the device [/dev/scd0 or /cdrom].
>
> Use a paper clip and push it into the hole on the front of the tray.  This is
>
> the manual override to open it.  Use this method to retrive the disk.

That works, but it sure doesn't *feel good*.  BTW, the drive was empty...as I
suspected.  I had tried to mount it earlier, but it said "No medium found."

After forceing it open with the paperclip, I was able to close it with
eject -t /dev/cdrom.  Then, I tried to open it again with both the eject command
and the button on the front...neither worked.  I guess it's shagged.

I'll pop the case open and have a look at the cables sometime this weekend.  For
the moment, there's some brew callin'...I gotta go take care of that :-)
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/