[CLUE-Tech] CDROM Tray won't open

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Sun Dec 14 12:22:43 MST 2003

Quoting David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net>:

> Randy Arabie wrote:
> [...]
> > I'll pop the case open and have a look at the cables sometime this weekend.
>  For
> > the moment, there's some brew callin'...I gotta go take care of that :-)
>
> While you're at it you can remove the CDROM and open it up.  Shouldn't
> be too hard but you have to be a little careful to get the front panel
> (plastic) and the case (metal) off in the right order.
>
> Then you can play with how it opens and closes with the front button and
> the paperclip and see if there are any obvious mechanical problems.  And
> sometimes just letting it know you're serious fixes things ;-)

Yeah, well it knows I'm serious and that seems to have fixed things.  I didn't
even have to pull the CDROM out of the case ;)

I pulled the side panel of the case and checked all the connections.  I couldn't
see any problems.  I'm pretty certain they were all snug, because I had loaded a
data cd in, mounted it, read a file, and unmounted it before pulling the side
panel on the case.

While open, I blew out the dust (canned air).  There wasn't much, it seems I
have to open the case for some reason or other every 3 - 6 months, and I always
clean the dust out.

Anyway open and closing the tray with the button and/or the mount command works.
 Who knows?  Dave advice is good, "just let it know you're serious..."
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/