[CLUE-Tech] Loging off as a user, recovering from a GUI crash

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Dec 14 23:50:26 MST 2003

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:20:39 -0700
Kevin Cullis <kevincu at orci.com> wrote:

> When some bad things happen to my CPU, like the GUI freezes and I use
> the CNTL-ALT-F3 to get into the non-GUI area to fix things (and the
> ALT-F7 to get back), I sometimes want to just "kill" the user and get to
> the logon screen. So,
>
> 1. What process do I kill or what would I do as root to not have to
> reboot the machine but just get back to SUSE's or other distro's logon
> screen?
> 2. If I wanted to restart an app from root or a term window, what
> process would I go through to restart it/them?

Do you mean you want to restart one or more applications you were running
before having to kill off the Xserver?

Since it sounds like you're booting to runlevel 5, are you running GDM or
KDM? Xsm maybe? I'm not saying that any of those will be helpful, but it
will help everyone here to get some more info about what you're running.
There is the concept of X "sessions". But you would have to have
checkpointed your session prior to killing things, so it doesn't sound as
if this is helpful.

Otherwise wouldn't you just start them the regular way?

> 3. Where would I find a listing of the apps that I can start from a term
> window?

You can start any app you have from a term window. If it's an X
application, it will just run under X. Otherwise, it will run in that term
window.

jed