[CLUE-Tech] SuSE network install

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Sun Dec 28 10:12:26 MST 2003

On 12-21 14:26, Collins wrote:
> On Sunday 21 December 2003 11:04, Mike Miller (earthlink) wrote:
> > I've done it several times. the secret is:
> >

> [ snipped ]
>
> My suspicions confirmed; speed of the mirror is paramount.
>

> > I ended up buying a copy as $75 for the pro edition was cheap vs. the
> > time waiting to get the software the hard way. The fact it came with
> > two copies of the distro (5 CD's and 2 DVDs) and a pretty good newbie
> > reference was iceing.
> >
> > I moved from RH 8 to RH 9 to SuSE 8.2 about a year ago and haven't been
> > happier.

<snip>

> I only wish that SUSE offered a really uptodate repository with more products,
> a la gentoo.

Well, I was able to get the install to finish last week. I answered the
questions (after the 40-some meg was downloaded) and let it run overnight.

I have a few SuSE questions, however. What do you do when you have to go out
of the Yast paradigm? Right away, I noticed a lot of apps that don't seem to
be available. For example, RSS clients. I couldn't find Liferea in the list.
What's the typical route in such a situation? I did try getting a syndicator
(another RSS reader) rpm and used yast to fetch any dependencies. Yast was
unable to get the dependencies. Most of the dependencies have to do with
Perl. Of course, I could resort to the fetch-manually-and-or-tarball method,
but I'd rather not.

Also, another example: eclipse is offered in the packages that Yast has. Yet
it fails to install because jre1.3.x is a dependency (that it doesn't
resolve automatically, apparently).

I must be missing something, obviously. Maybe I need to find a good M to
RTF.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/