[CLUE-Tech] KVM Switches

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jzb at dissociatedpress.net
Wed Dec 31 10:09:12 MST 2003

Russell Glissmann <rglissmann at rfgsolutions.com> wrote:

> Does anybody use KVM switches?  I've got a problem that when I switch
> from one machine to another, then back again, my mouse is basically
> useless.  I've found in some instances that restarting the GPM daemon
> restores proper operation, but not always.

Is your KVM powered or not? I've used a KVM switch that wasn't powered,
and have seen the same behaviour. Basically, the PC seems to "think"
that the mouse has disappeared. I have a newer 6 port KVM that is powered and
haven't really experienced the same problem. I've also had good luck
with a 2 port switch that has the cables built in, picked it up at
Microcenter for about $40.

> I'm not always using the same machines, and not always Linux, so I don't
> believe that using something like VNC is particularly an option.
> However, I am open to suggestions.

Erm... why isn't VNC an option? VNC clients and servers run on just about
anything... If you're playing 3D games or suchlike, then VNC isn't really an
option, but if you're on a 100 mbit LAN running normal apps with VNC, you should
be okay.

Best,
Zonker
--
"Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off
their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more." - Mark Twain