[CLUE-Tech] SSH through Cisco

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Sat Feb 1 18:14:01 MST 2003

On Saturday,  1 February 2003 at 13:09:22 -0700, Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc at americanisp.net> wrote:
> On 01-29 11:04, Randy Arabie wrote:

> > > BTW: that was it. I missed that announcement, and I suppose that's why it
> > > worked back in August, and not now...port 22 is blocked by AmISP.
> >
> > It will cost you $5/mo extra to have them open inbound server ports.
> > That is understandable...to an extent.  I pay it cause I run my own
> > website and email.  But, if I were only wanting to ssh into my home box
> > I would consider that extra $ a bit excessive.  Seems they could leave
> > port 22 open for no extra charge, IMO it doesn't quite fit their server
> > limitiation criteria.
> >
> > Paying the extra to have them open the server ports also puts you under
> > metered bandwith restrictions (30GB/mo).  You are billed extra for
> > exceeding the limit.  That is aggregate bandwidth (Up & Down).  So far,
> > I've not exceeded it.  My website has pretty limited traffic.  My
> > thought is if they are worried about bandwidth they should focus on the
> > Peer-to-Peer filesharing apps.
>
> Thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to have a link to AmISP's website
> where they lay out all this, would you? Their site is, er, just a tad
> byzantine...if I were to judge them on the website instead of the
> word-of-mouth via CLUE, I'd never have chosen them. :)

Yeah.  I agree there.

> I wonder if anyone who was slashdotted ever got a big bill from their ISP?
>
> Yes, I think paying $5/month to only ssh home is a tad expensive. If/when I
> find myself gainfully employed again, though, I will probably pay it,
> though...it's nice to be able to check mail and especially to post/read
> Usenet (I am still surprised when companies don't get Usenet access,
> especially when those companies deal specifically with technology. You can
> post and read through Google groups, but with the delay, you might as well
> do it from home) I suppose it's understandable from the ISP's viewpoint: I
> *could* scp or sftp large files from that ssh server. But I could also ftp
> stuff elsewhere while at home - either way, it's still going upstream.
>
> The extra space to run a site would be nice...they only give you 10M on
> their side. I have many pics from past 14er excursions I'd like to put up.

I said the limits were 30gb/mo...it is only 10gb/mo.  But, I've still
never exceeded it.  They send you reports, on usage.  However, they are
pretty useless.  Here is one of mine:

To: randy at americanisp.net
From: billing at americanisp.net
Subject: Usage Report for account 7626 Randy Arabie

30 statistics

Sum: 0.00000000 GB

Rate: 3.00000000 per GB for usage over 10.00000000 GB

Thank you for your business!

Billing Department
American ISP, LLC.
billing at americanisp.net

All it does is tell me that I have not exceeded my 10 gig limit.  I've
asked for an explanation of what it means, aside from that but got no
response.  I asked if they charge a pro-rated amount for bandwidth above
10 gb/mo, but got no response.  For all I know, if my "Sum" was
10.00000001 GB I would get charged $3 for usage over my limit.

--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/