[CLUE-Tech] Reliable writing editors?

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 2 17:00:16 MST 2003

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 02:09:11PM -0700, Jeffery Cann wrote:

> Maybe I should try LyX and stop worrying about formatting.

This is precisely the tack I take when needing to write !code.  I use
vim to put my thoughts in order, simple reformatting (does lists and
paragraphs well), and proof reading/spell checking.

If I have to move the content to a dedicated format (Word, HTML,...) I
do it after the fact.  I'll even go so far as putting stupid little
comments to myself such as <picture 1 here>;  or <Text Box>.

In part this works out well for me because I'm simply not a multitasker
when it comes to !code.  If I have to write prose, I *really* have to
concentrate on it - case it point:  this response has taken 2 hours to
write :^)

I've also found that it lowers my frustration level with editors like
Word, OpenOffice, <insert your favorite/most loathed...>; by the simple
fact that I spend about 1/3 less time in them.

Just my 2c, but if you don't find the perfect editor, this may be 1/2 of
a solution.

--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
kehellman at yahoo.com               from disclaimer import standard

"Experience is a harsh teacher.  She gives the test before you learn the
lesson."

--Unknown