[CLUE-Tech] Reliable writing editors?

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Sun Feb 2 23:25:51 MST 2003

> > My other issue with VIM is that I cannot seem to get word wrapping to work.
> > Here's an example:
> >
> > 	This line will span beyond the edge of my sc
> > 	reen
> >
> > rather than
> >
> > 	This line will span beyond the edge of my
> > 	screen

Strange.  Sometimes when I'm editing text files in vim I automatically
get "prose-like" behavior.  For example lines automatically break
beteen of words.  Also,  Lists are automatically continued.  That is,
if I type:

* this is item one

and then hit return, the bullet and space for the next item is
automatically added.  I thought that these behaviors kicked in for me
if I edited a file with a .txt extension, but I can't recreate it now.
I'll have to keep my eyes open for when it happens again.

> map <F10> l!{fmt -72 <RETURN>

Regarding repaginating paragraphs, put your cursor on the first line
of the paragraph and then type:

V}gq

and vim will automatically repaginate it for you, breaking between
words.  The "V" highlights lines.  Use "v" if you want to highlight to
a particular location within a line.  The "}" is just a cursor motion,
so a bunch of j's or any other movement will suffice.  The "gq" is the
magic for repaginating whatever is selected.

-TAG