[CLUE-Tech] device names for scsi cdrw

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Mon Feb 3 21:03:38 MST 2003

I've noticed that /dev/scd0 will be your first cdrom device, with
/dev/scd1 being the second. If those aren't there, check for /dev/sg0 and
/dev/sg1, I think.  My systems (slackware, debian) typically make links to
/dev/cdrom for me.

First things first, however, check dmesg.  Those will have the device
names listed.

Warning:  You usually need to turn on dma mode to watch DVDs and not have
it run poorly, since it will be using SCSI emulation, you won't be able to
turn on dma mode using hdparm. so, you might want to avoid using your DVD
drive as a 'scsi' device.

Adam

adamb at glaven.org
[ www.glaven.org ]