[CLUE-Tech] Linux and Wireless

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Tue Feb 4 11:06:36 MST 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 10:52:20AM -0700, Paul Bille wrote:
> > "my (much older) linksys card doesn't reach"
> > "Any hints on what's necessary to relocate one or both antennas. . .?"
>

> Putting the antenna higher in your house will undoubtedly make it easier
> to pick up the signal OUTSIDE the house.
>
> I'm assuming you live in a normal house like the rest of us normal
> folks.  I could be underestimating the problem if you live in a castle;)

I wound up abandoning the gateway on the 486 toshiba laptop in the
basement (firewall) and bought a netgear WAP - and a couple of netgear
cards.  With that on the groundlevel of my wash park brick bungalow, I
can walk all the way around the block with very few dropped pakets on a
continuous ping.  In the house I can stream video and audio off the
server (in the basement) with no difference in quality than at the 100mb
desktop.  YMMV, and how you use that securely may be a good KISS
session.

aloha,
dave