[CLUE-Tech] Reliable writing editors?

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sat Feb 8 04:20:47 MST 2003

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 02:09:11PM -0700, Jeffery Cann wrote:

> I generally use VIM for most of my work.  However, when I need to write prose
> (often in in text format), I find VIM hard to work with.  I love it for
> coding, but not for writing.
>
> I have tried these programs on Linux:  Kate, Kwrite, Nedit, Mozilla, and Star
> Office.  All have failed me in one way or another, in particular I loose
> valuable thoughts when the program crashes or have such a frustrating time
> with formatting bugs and font displays that it becomes unproductive.

Here's a really out-of-the box suggestion: Wily (Google for "wily
editor"). It's different from just about everything ... actually it's a
knockoff of Acme, the Plan9 editor, but you've probably never tried that
either. I'd say, read the (short) manual, use a 3-button mouse, and give
it 15-20 minutes. That should be enough to know whether you like it or
not. I liked it a lot, but went back to VIM, because I wanted something
that works equally well on desktops and laptops; Wily really needs 3
buttons to use it effectively. It also has no syntax highlighting, but I
think I could have given that up if it weren't for the mouse issue.

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)