[CLUE-Tech] Boot-time CPU Work-out

Richard J. Mancusi vrman at bourbaki.us
Sun Feb 9 07:52:17 MST 2003

System: P4-m 768MB Red Hat 7.3 (load everything)

Recently I noticed that approx 8 min after I boot my laptop, the fan
comes on high and stays that way for a long time.  This morning I
decided to look at Gnome Monitor (gtop).  I found out why - now
what can I do about it?

PID = 1907    User = root    Pri = 25

Size/Resident = 23060 (started small, grew for the first 18m, stopped here)

Stat = R    CPU = 97 to 100    Mem = 2.4 to 2.9

Time = 1.24h (it is still running as I write this)

Cmd = /usr/sbin/logrotate

At the bottom of Gnome Monitor it shows the cpu distribution.
Initially it was 99+% user.  After approx 45m it changed to
approx 15% user and 82% system

tnx
Rich