[CLUE-Tech] Boot-time CPU Work-out

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Feb 9 11:55:34 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 07:52, Richard J. Mancusi wrote:
> System: P4-m 768MB Red Hat 7.3 (load everything)
>
> Recently I noticed that approx 8 min after I boot my laptop, the fan
> comes on high and stays that way for a long time.  This morning I
> decided to look at Gnome Monitor (gtop).  I found out why - now
> what can I do about it?
>
> PID = 1907    User = root    Pri = 25
>
> Size/Resident = 23060 (started small, grew for the first 18m, stopped here)
>
> Stat = R    CPU = 97 to 100    Mem = 2.4 to 2.9
>
> Time = 1.24h (it is still running as I write this)
>
> Cmd = /usr/sbin/logrotate
>

> At the bottom of Gnome Monitor it shows the cpu distribution.
> Initially it was 99+% user.  After approx 45m it changed to
> approx 15% user and 82% system

Hi Rich,

Please take a look at "man logrotate" which will explain what it does.
It is normal for logrotate to run periodically and thats a good thing!

So how long does it take logrotate to execute?  Unfortunately, your
description doesn't specify whether logrotate is still running of if
there are other processes that are causing the cpu usage.  If logrotate
runs for more than an hour, something is probably the matter and you
should look into the logs.  Perhaps you have some process or kernel
driver thats writing an excessive amount of information to the system
logs?  That could explain why it takes logrotate so long to handle them.

So what processes are running and what are the contents of the /var/log/
directory?  For instance how big is /var/log/messages?

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483