[CLUE-Tech] LILO Boot Problem

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Feb 11 07:42:17 MST 2003

Randy Arabie wrote:
[...]
> The bios detected the HD properly in NORMAL mode, not LBA.
>
> I've got debain (woody) installed.  I'm using LILO (debian's default
> boot loader) and I'm not sharing the disk with any other OS.  However,
> LILO hangs when reading the MBR and I get:
>
> L 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 (......)

[...]

Try replacing the LBA line with "linear" in lilo.conf.  Google says this
is a geometry problem.  IIRC there is also a "large" option, don't know
if it would help.

Probably with linear you'll need the kernel partition within the first
1024 cylinders (on Debian that's the /boot partition).

You can also post your lilo.conf so we can check it.