[CLUE-Tech] LILO Boot Problem

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Tue Feb 11 09:17:42 MST 2003

On Tuesday, 11 February 2003 at  7:42:17 -0700, David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:
> Randy Arabie wrote:
> [...]
> >The bios detected the HD properly in NORMAL mode, not LBA.
> >
> >I've got debain (woody) installed.  I'm using LILO (debian's default
> >boot loader) and I'm not sharing the disk with any other OS.  However,
> >LILO hangs when reading the MBR and I get:
> >
> >L 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 (......)
> >
> [...]
>
> Try replacing the LBA line with "linear" in lilo.conf.  Google says this
> is a geometry problem.  IIRC there is also a "large" option, don't know
> if it would help.

Thanks Dave.  I'll try that tonight.  I googled, but didn't find any
references to the "linear" or "large" options.  I'll have to check the
lilo manpages, explanations should be there.

> Probably with linear you'll need the kernel partition within the first
> 1024 cylinders (on Debian that's the /boot partition).

I should be good there.  I've only got two partitions on the HD "/" and
swap.  I put the swap at the end.

> You can also post your lilo.conf so we can check it.

I'll do that if the "linear" or "large" options don't work.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/