[CLUE-Tech] LILO Boot Problem

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Wed Feb 12 10:11:39 MST 2003

> When I was running Gentoo I used grub.  That is my only experience with
> it.  Grub is the preferred bootloader for Gentoo, so I installed it.
>
> However, I'm not at all familiar with the process of swithing
> bootloaders.  Seems "scary", but I suppose that is just because I'm not
> familiar with it.

Switching bootloaders is actually easy. Follow the instuctions for GRUB
install, and it is pretty much done.  Gentoo, for some reason, won't boot
my windows partition from GRUB, so I use lilo. Here's my partition setup

hda1: 50 MB, fat16
hda5: 500M, swap
hda3: 50M /boot/ , ext3
hda4: 1G /var, ext3
hda6: 6G, /
hda7: 4.5G, /usr
hda8: 12G, /home
hda9: 15 G, fat32
Somewhere in there, hda2 is floating around, but I'm not sure what it is
doing.  It might be something wierd.

Grub couldn't handle that, lilo could. But grub has handled more odd
situations for me, as technically, the above config is totally kosher.

If you blow it up, you can just boot to the gentoo CD and repair your
bootloader.