[CLUE-Tech] X on Woody

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Wed Feb 12 13:04:16 MST 2003

On 02-12 12:38, mgushee at havenrock.com wrote:
> On 12 Feb 2003 at 12:12, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > X opens up and I have the black and white background, with no cursor. So now
> > I have to ask: is XFree86 -configure the usual way to set up X on Debian?
>
> Do you mean xfree86config? Yes. But I would suggest trying xf86setup. It
> gives you a primitive GUI in a low-res XSession, and allows you to test
> settings before committing them.

Hmm. I don't seem to have xfree86config or xf86setup. I'm re-running
updatedb to be sure. I already checked dselect for anything obvious. I did
find a xf86cfg binary, though. It seemed to hang my machine. Of course,
since it's such a slow machine, it's hard to be certain. :)

> > Maybe my video card is just so old and/or crappy that I need to do something
> > special? At one point, I did have RH on this box, so I know it should work.
> > FWIW, the video board is detected as an S3 864 by XFree86 -configure.
>
> Well, is that what it actually is? If so, that may be part of the problem. For
> whatever reason, some older S3 cards that were supported well by XFree86
> 3.x are not supported 4.x. I had one of those myself, and finally had to
> break down and buy a new video card in order to upgrade XFree86.

This may be the way to go...I'm setting this box up to try out Freevo and
MythTV - and I will need a video card with TV out, anyway, so maybe I'll
wait until I have such a card before I bother with setting up X.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted.
-Fred Allen
(contributed by Chris Johnston)