[CLUE-Tech] X on Woody

mgushee at havenrock.com mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed Feb 12 12:38:38 MST 2003

On 12 Feb 2003 at 12:12, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> X opens up and I have the black and white background, with no cursor. So now
> I have to ask: is XFree86 -configure the usual way to set up X on Debian?

Do you mean xfree86config? Yes. But I would suggest trying xf86setup. It
gives you a primitive GUI in a low-res XSession, and allows you to test
settings before committing them.

> Maybe my video card is just so old and/or crappy that I need to do something
> special? At one point, I did have RH on this box, so I know it should work.
> FWIW, the video board is detected as an S3 864 by XFree86 -configure.

Well, is that what it actually is? If so, that may be part of the problem. For
whatever reason, some older S3 cards that were supported well by XFree86
3.x are not supported 4.x. I had one of those myself, and finally had to
break down and buy a new video card in order to upgrade XFree86.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO USA