[CLUE-Tech] X on Woody

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Thu Feb 13 12:54:57 MST 2003

On 02-13 11:43, Randy Arabie wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 February 2003 at 11:30:09 -0700, Keith Hellman <kehellman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:12:16PM -0700, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> > > Another question: how do I turn off gpm/xdm trying to launch at
> > > startup? Until I get this working, there is little point in that trying to
> > > launch. :) I checked /etc/inittab, and it didn't look like it's set there.
> > >
> > I didn't see anyone address this question, so I'll give it a shot.  In
> > RH and SuSE XDM is controlled by the runlevel that init boots to.  There
> > should be an initdefault entry in your /etc/inittab that dictates the
> > boot-to-runlevel.  I believe I set mine to 3 to avoid XDM.
> >
> > If this isn't a solution (I don't use Debian), then you can
> > remove/unlink the XDM startup script in your startup directories.
>
> When I installed Debian (woody) it setup XDM via inetd.  Debian provides
> a utility, update-inetd, to disable or remove services started via
> inetd.

Thanks for all the help. I wish I knew about that before my latest
adventures. As I mentioned in the first message, inittab didn't look like it
had the appropriate setting. IIRC, it was set to runlevel of 2.

I had X configured (for a different card that I got yesterday) to the point
that I could do startx and run blackbox. This was fun figuring out since it
was a nVidia Geforce 4, and seems to require some special tinkering or
getting XFree86 4.2.1.

It still looked terrible, so I was trying to see if I could reduce res and
increase depth. I wasn't having much luck, so I tried running xf86cfg, to
see if I might be able to do it there. Bad idea - it hung the box. So I had
to power cycle. When it came back up, it was trying to launch xdm or gdm and
was never exiting. I tried the rescue disk, but that didn't work too well -
kernel paniced because it could not mount the hard drive.

Getting fed up with all this, I bailed and tried out RH 7.3. It's still
installing as I type this.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Almost anything derogatory you could say about today's software design would
be accurate.
-K.E. Iverson