[CLUE-Tech] X on Woody

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Thu Feb 20 12:25:18 MST 2003

On 02-13 11:43, Randy Arabie wrote:
> On Thursday, 13 February 2003 at 11:30:09 -0700, Keith Hellman <kehellman at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 12:12:16PM -0700, Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> > > Another question: how do I turn off gpm/xdm trying to launch at
> > > startup? Until I get this working, there is little point in that trying to
> > > launch. :) I checked /etc/inittab, and it didn't look like it's set there.
> > >
> > I didn't see anyone address this question, so I'll give it a shot.  In
> > RH and SuSE XDM is controlled by the runlevel that init boots to.  There
> > should be an initdefault entry in your /etc/inittab that dictates the
> > boot-to-runlevel.  I believe I set mine to 3 to avoid XDM.
> >
> > If this isn't a solution (I don't use Debian), then you can
> > remove/unlink the XDM startup script in your startup directories.
>
> When I installed Debian (woody) it setup XDM via inetd.  Debian provides
> a utility, update-inetd, to disable or remove services started via
> inetd.

Well, I went back to Debian, and I solved this problem, too. I booted via
single mode (duh, don't know why I didn't think about that the first time
around). For some reason, xdm doesn't like to start. But the answer to where
it is:

It's in /etc/rc2.d, there was a link to S99xdm. When I removed it, was okay.
Apparently, Debian doesn't set up xdm via /etc/inittab, since it was set to
2.

Now, I'm back to trying to tweak X so it looks better than it currently
does. It looks nearly black and white. If anyone has any experience with
GeForce4, let me know, or even just has general tips at getting better color
depth, let me know. I can send my XF86Config-4 file and log if it will help.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Preconcieved notions are the locks on the door to wisdom.
-Merry Browne