[CLUE-Tech] CD burning

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Fri Feb 14 21:24:54 MST 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:45:23 -0700
Collins <erichey2 at attbi.com> wrote:

> On Friday 14 February 2003 11:41 am, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> >
> > A tangent here.
> >
> > I just dl'd Knoppix using a friend's machine (Cable modem -- woohoo).
> >
> > I followed the instruction here
> > http://download.linuxtag.org/knoppix/docs/HOWTO-burn/ for burning
> > using Nero. The CD isn't bootable, at least on that machine. So, I
> > made the bootable floppy using rawrite2 (as described in the HTML docs
> > on the ISO), and it booted, but wouldn't load the OS from the CD.
>
> I've never encountered any problems burning Knoppix either from linux or
>
> windows.  Did you check the md5sums on what you downloaded?  What sort
> of error messages do you get when it fails to load?

Nope, didn't check the MD5. I've never encountered corrupt downloads.
Always a first time, I suppose, but I assume that if it were corrupted,
I'd have errors mounting it.

When trying to boot from CD, nothing happens, except that the BIOS skips
to booting from the HD, meaning it couldn't find a bootable image.

When trying to boot from floppy, I get:

SYSLINUX Version: 1.76 (Debian, 2002-10-04) Boot failed

There's a pause before the "Boot failed" appears. This happens without any
attempt to access the CD.

I think the floppy is toast.

# cd /mnt/floppy/
# file *
boot.msg:     data
f2:           data
german.kbd:   raw G3 data, byte-padded
ldlinux.sys:  file: read failed (Input/output error).

However, I'm noticing other strangeness here:

$ find /mnt/cdrom/ -name vmlin\*

gets nothing.

$ ls -o /mnt/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
-r--r--r--    1 root     717842384 Jan 18 10:36 /mnt/cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

$ head -30 KNOPPIX
#!/bin/sh
insmod cloop.o file=$0 && mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cloop $1
exit $?

... followed by binary data.

Seems to me that /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX is the actual ISO. Although, I don't
know why it would start with a shell script. Sort of an auto-bootstrapping
mechanism to mount it on the loopback device?

Or it's toast.

Guess I'll (groan) boot the M$ box and rewrite the boot floppy.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl