[CLUE-Tech] Reliable writing editors?

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Sun Feb 16 14:37:25 MST 2003

> BTW, do you know much TeX/LaTeX, or are you just using the GUI for now, and
> delving into the internals later? What sort of stuff are you writing, using
> what templates?

Jumping in here.  I chose to learn LaTeX because I was married to my
editor (vi/vim in my case).  I knew I could write many times more
efficiently in vi than in a mouse-based word-processor.  Was LaTeX
painful to learn?  Yes, but so was vi, and I'm grateful that I've
learned both.

Regarding those who feel uneasy about not directly controlling
formatting, take a look at these 3 examples (below).  IMHO they show
that formatting flexibility in LaTeX meets or exceeds that of MS Word.

http://www.augustcouncil.com/~tgibson/latex_samples/
1) tag_resume.pdf - an example of a resume.
2) assign1.pdf - LaTeX eats math formulas for lunch.  Check out page 6.
3) zope101_sample.pdf - An excerpt from some courseware done in LaTeX.
   It shows a very different look than one might expect to be possible
   in LaTeX.

Regarding the other post that mentioned that recruiters want Resumes
in MS Word, yes, that continues to be a problem for me.
-TAG