[CLUE-Tech] Reliable writing editors?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Feb 17 19:07:45 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 14:37, Todd A. Gibson wrote:
> Jumping in here.  I chose to learn LaTeX because I was married to my
> editor (vi/vim in my case).  I knew I could write many times more
> efficiently in vi than in a mouse-based word-processor.  Was LaTeX
> painful to learn?  Yes, but so was vi, and I'm grateful that I've
> learned both.

Good deal!  I'm a big fan of LaTeX and mostly for its handling of math
and references (via BibTeX).

> http://www.augustcouncil.com/~tgibson/latex_samples/
> 1) tag_resume.pdf - an example of a resume.
> 2) assign1.pdf - LaTeX eats math formulas for lunch.  Check out page 6.
> 3) zope101_sample.pdf - An excerpt from some courseware done in LaTeX.
>    It shows a very different look than one might expect to be possible
>    in LaTeX.
>
> Regarding the other post that mentioned that recruiters want Resumes
> in MS Word, yes, that continues to be a problem for me.
> -TAG

Try this:

  1) Write your resume in HTML (or XHTML).

  2) Save it as "resume.doc"

  3) Open it in any fairly recent version of MS Office (97/2K/XP)

  3a) Notice how the document will be automatically (no complaints
      about the file type) loaded and, within the abilities of MS's
      implementation of (X)HTML, correctly rendered.

  4) Voila!  In almost every circumstance you can send (X)HTML
     documents in the place of MS Word documents when dealing with
     HR people.

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483