[CLUE-Tech] Reliable writing editors?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at americanisp.net
Mon Feb 17 19:27:31 MST 2003

On 02-17 19:07, Ed Hill wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 14:37, Todd A. Gibson wrote:
> > Jumping in here.  I chose to learn LaTeX because I was married to my
> > editor (vi/vim in my case).  I knew I could write many times more
> > efficiently in vi than in a mouse-based word-processor.  Was LaTeX
> > painful to learn?  Yes, but so was vi, and I'm grateful that I've
> > learned both.
>
> Good deal!  I'm a big fan of LaTeX and mostly for its handling of math
> and references (via BibTeX).
>

> > http://www.augustcouncil.com/~tgibson/latex_samples/
> > 1) tag_resume.pdf - an example of a resume.
> > 2) assign1.pdf - LaTeX eats math formulas for lunch.  Check out page 6.
> > 3) zope101_sample.pdf - An excerpt from some courseware done in LaTeX.
> >    It shows a very different look than one might expect to be possible
> >    in LaTeX.
> >
> > Regarding the other post that mentioned that recruiters want Resumes
> > in MS Word, yes, that continues to be a problem for me.
> > -TAG
>

> Try this:
>
>   1) Write your resume in HTML (or XHTML).
>
>   2) Save it as "resume.doc"
>
>   3) Open it in any fairly recent version of MS Office (97/2K/XP)
>
>   3a) Notice how the document will be automatically (no complaints
>       about the file type) loaded and, within the abilities of MS's
>       implementation of (X)HTML, correctly rendered.
>
>   4) Voila!  In almost every circumstance you can send (X)HTML
>      documents in the place of MS Word documents when dealing with
>      HR people.

Not bad advice. I'd add one caveat - make sure your resume hasn't
unexpectedly expanded beyond your intended number of pages. I know that I
have to go in and adjust my resume in Word after doing this, otherwise,
instead of being 2 pages, it's 3 or 4.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at americanisp.net
http://users.americanisp.net/~seanleblanc/
Get MLAC at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mlac/
Abstainer, n.: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a
pleasure.
-Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"