[CLUE-Tech] Reliable writing editors?

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sun Feb 16 19:51:31 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 11:01, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> About exporting to PDF, that is nice, but based on personal experience with
> resumes, I still have to maintain the resume in Word or "port" the resume to
> Word, for the simple reason that I've had recruiters/HR people say they
> cannot read the PDF, and some job postings specify "resumes in Word format".
> You'd think the scanning software so many of these folks use would allow
> text just as well as Word for the input, but...
>
> I know, I know. The fact that these people are recruiting technology talent
> and can't open a PDF attachment boggles the mind, and requiring Word is
> silly, but since I don't have a job, and programmers are openly viewed by
> recruiters/HR as "a dime a dozen", I'm not about to lower my chances even
> further of winning the lottery^H^H^H^H^H^^H^Hlanding a job.

Just as a comment, I've been using Star Office up until recently (now
Open Office) and I normally just printed my resume to a PS file and used
ps2pdf.  However, my wife used her Win98 machine and had trouble with
printing a copy of the PDF file of my resume.  So, that being said, I've
begun to wonder if my PDF files have caused problems with HR and my
resume has been trashed because of it. Just some thoughts.

I wished programs just worked ;-)

--
Kevin Cullis <kevincu at orci.com>