[CLUE-Tech] Reliable writing editors?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Feb 18 21:52:31 MST 2003

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 17:43:54 -0700
Matt Gushee <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:

> You can also save the document in RTF with a .doc extension, which
> should preserve the pagination but is probably slightly less foolproof
> than HTML. But I'm wondering about something. I've heard that one of the
> reasons recruitoids demand resumes in Word format is that they use
> automated tools to extract whatever data they are looking for from your
> resume.  Now, if those tools are based on the MS Office API (as they
> most likely are), that means they will probably access the resume's
> contents via the Word object model. I wonder if that will still work on
> one of our impostor documents?

http://enterprise.yahoo.com/resumix/recruiting/resumix6/

Whether such products require MSWord, I don't know. Some years ago, I
spent some bench time at an employer evaluating various recruitment
automation tools. IIRC, they accepted Word, HTML, and text, or OCR from
scanned paper resumes. I wouldn't be surprised at a product built around
the Word object model though.

Another common thing is for recruiting or contract firms to stick their
letterhead on. Some of them even reformat drastically. You'd think that
would argue for less reliance on a proprietary format, since they wouldn't
be retaining specific formatting anyway.

With the coming of Office11 (Uh, I think that's the "real" version
number), with it's XML-Schema support, I wonder how much further these
sorts of requirements might go.

jed

--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl