[CLUE-Tech] Feedback for new tool turn key bandwidth limiting... (second try)

Art Reisman astormchaser2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 19 07:35:15 MST 2003

I posted this once before, at a time when there was no

traffic for 3 days with this group, and I suspect
there was something wrong with the mail server?
Because I received no feedback whatsoever. So with
apologies up front if you have seen this before...

I am currently testing a Linux Open source bandwidth
limiting tool,(www.apconnections.net) and was hoping
that this local group could give me some additional
feedback or perhaps offer up an oppurtunity for an
additional beta site.

First the basics on this tool and what makes it
different from other Linux open source tools.
TC,Netfilter, LARTC

1) It is designed to be turn key for any network in
its default configuration, it may not be optimal in
the way it filters for every situation but you don't
have to know anything to get some immediate benefit.
Which makes it real easy to implement! Turn key has
been my guiding principle from the get go...

2) It offers a unique method of controlling data
coming into your network by throttling back the
"client" requests from your network that are causing
the data to come in in the first place. It is the only
bandwidth shaping tool that I know of with this sort
of intelligence.

3) At the request of my beta customer (the State of
Washington public schools) I have added a bunch of
additional features that allow some hands on admin
beyond the turn key implementation. Described in the
Howto on the web page.

I will be demonstrating this tool at the Linux Fest in
Seatle at their invite, so far I have saved the State
of Washington (potentially) lots of money with their
bandwidth problems in their schools. And would hope
that I can do the same for another local beta
customer.

I'd really like to get something local going, or at
least a discussion as there is much I need to learn to
make this tool better for others to use.

Art Reisman
www.apconnections.net