[CLUE-Tech] wierd vi behavior

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Sat Feb 22 08:53:18 MST 2003

On Saturday 22 February 2003 08:08 am, Dave Price wrote:
> Cluebies:
>
> When I ssh into my debian/knoppix box and try to run 'vi' or
> '/usr/bin/vim' i get:
>
> X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server
> shutdown).
>
> This does not seem right.  Also, it only happens when I su to 'root' - I
> can run vi fine as a normal user.
>
> Any idea what's going on?

1. You must have installed vim with X support.  Suggest reinstall without X
support.  When installed with X support, vim will attempt (among other
things) to update the window title area on exit.

2. As for most root X things, xhost +localhost as normal user before vim as
root (or su -) user.  This, of course, has security implictions.

LOL,
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
Athlon-XP gentoo 1.4_rc2 kde 3.1