[CLUE-Tech] More INFO: Re: wierd vi behavior

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Sat Feb 22 11:07:14 MST 2003

Collin is correct - FYI, here is Klaus Knopper's responce (I am
running knoppix from a hard disk drive on the system in question:

<Klaus>

No, this is actually correct. You should unset the DISPLAY variable,
otherwise vim will try to check for mouse support by querying the X
server. If your SSH is set to not tunnel X requests (you can enable it
by saying ssh -X), the connection to your local X-Server will fail.

If you use X forwarding, you can enable mouse support in vim, and use
native cursor movement, cut&paste with the "set mouse*" options.

Of course, as root you don't have access to the DISPLAY anymore, if you
don't use a Xauthority-enabled version of su.

Just type
DISPLAY= vim filename
to disable X support in vim for that call.

Regards
-Klaus Knopper

</Klaus>

aloha,