[CLUE-Tech] Postfix + SASL

Jeremiah Stanley lists at miah.org
Thu Jan 2 13:37:42 MST 2003

I am trying to setup a mailserver that uses the AUTH and TLS extensions
for a personal mail relay. I decided to give Postfix a shot and I am
having a few configuration issues with the SASL parts failing to
authenticate. Here are my two relevant configs that I think I have setup
correctly per these links:

http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/docs/postfix-sasl.php
http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/smtpauth/

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_local_domain = $myhostname
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
        permit_sasl_authenticated,
        permit_mynetworks,
        check_relay_domains

/usr/lib/sasl/smtpd.conf:
pwcheck_method:pam

The system that I am trying to set this up on is a RedHat 7.3 machine. I
had to recompile the postfix RPM to include TLS and SASL so I have
checked to make sure that they are included. The documentation for SASL
is rather spartan but, from what I can gather I have that setup
correctly as well to use PAM. My question is this: does anyone have a
similar setup to this that works? I am trying to avoid the mess of
having to update sasldb every time I add a user to my mail system and
would like to take advantage of the flexibility of PAM to authenticate
mail users (I have a working LDAP directory that users authenticate
against). The system that I am setting up uses the local password files
until I can test the system well enough to implement. Any help is
welcomed.

Overall I have been impressed with the Postfix server software. The
config file is human parseable and rather easy to find examples where
people have done this before me. I am just having trouble duplicating
their results.

Thanks,

JStanley