[CLUE-Tech] xquestion

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Jan 12 11:29:08 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 10:49, mikeegee at postey.com wrote:

> How can I get the regular boot to work properly?  Can I use the same
> XF86Config file I am using in safe mode?  How would I go about this?

Heres three suggestions:

  1) For most distros, you need to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.
     Its good to first make a copy of the original file and then
     try tweaking it.  You can often get excellent config info from
     the pages at:  http://www.linux-laptop.net/  Just find your
     laptop model in their listings.

  2) You might be having problems with your graphical login manager.
     You could edit your /etc/inittab file so that you have an old-
     style text login:

       id:3:initdefault:

     and then run "startx" after you log on.

  3) You could bring the laptop to one of the weekly Hacking Society
     meetings (http://www.hackingsociety.org/).  If you show up for
     the Golden meeting on wednesday, I'll do what I can to help you
     get it working.

good luck,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483